The Solidarity Center is seeking an experienced Senior Lead Researcher to help develop and implement a new research initiative. The Senior Lead Researcher will play a key role in developing a research and campaign department to support new initiatives and current Solidarity Center work with unions and worker rights organizations around the world. Extensive experience as a lead researcher or research director for a labor union with broad experience on comprehensive organizing campaigns is required. Experience in international research and campaigning is highly desirable. The position requires strong writing and analytic skills and will include regular international travel.
The Solidarity Center is the largest U.S.-based international worker rights organization. Its programs are based on the principle that, by exercising their right to freedom of association and forming trade unions and democratic worker rights organizations, working people can collectively improve their workplaces, call on governments to uphold laws and protect human rights, and be a force for democracy, social justice and inclusive economic development. Its programs in more than 60 countries focus on human and worker rights awareness, union skills, occupational safety and health, gender equality, migration and human trafficking and pro-legal strategies, bolstering workers in an increasingly informal economy. Founded in 1997 by the AFL-CIO to tackle the enormous challenges workers face in the global economy, the Solidarity Center works to promote democratic rights and respect for workers; raise public awareness about abuses of the world’s most vulnerable workers; and, above all, help the world’s workers secure a voice in their societies and the global economy.
Summary of Position:
The Senior Lead Researcher is a senior level position responsible for all aspects of targeted research supporting Solidarity Center programs primarily focused on organizing and collective bargaining. The Senior Lead Researcher will help build the capacity of the Solidarity Center’s partner unions through strategic research and campaign implementation. To be successful the Senior Lead Researcher must provide advice, guidance training and mentoring to the Solidarity Center’s union partners at the national and local levels. This individual will prepare and exchange information and coordinate activities with field offices, other departments, the AFL-CIO and its affiliates and other allied worker rights organizations. They will produce well-written program reports and evaluations, in addition to monitoring programs to meet budget targets and programmatic results.
• Plan, coordinate and conduct strategic research to support organizing and collective bargaining including data collection, analysis, and report writing
• Incorporate research into overall campaign planning, including worker, community and strategic elements
• Ensure accurate and rigorous methodology for quantitative and qualitative data collection and analysis
• Train and mentor partners and field staff on research and campaign development and implementation
• Assist organizing teams to develop and implement tactics to support campaign strategies
• Track market and industry trends and economic indicators globally, regionally and nationally
• Provide international and country specific sectoral mapping
• Seek and evaluate new sources of information
• Coordinate with AFL-CIO and its affiliated union
• Coordinate research projects with other academic and community researchers
• Ensure projects stay within designated budgets and timeline, produce written materials for internal and public use
• At least seven recent years of experience as a lead researcher for a union or worker rights organization
• Experience leading staff in research and campaign implantation
• Bachelor’s degree in political science, international relations, labor relations or related field
• Passionate commitment to social, economic and racial justice
• Effective time management skills, including prioritizing and managing multiple tasks, and demonstrated experience in personal work plans and goals.
• Ability to work effectively in a wide variety of cultures and in politically sensitive environments
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Ability to work well in a collaborative environment and travel on a regular basis as needed, and for extended periods of time.
Highly desirable qualities:
• Experience in international research and campaign implementation
• Experience in campaign research in non-traditional workplaces
• Database experience, knowledge of SQL or other data manipulation/programming skills, screen scraping and ArcGIS
• Experience in union, community or social movement organizing
• Fluency in foreign language(s)
Supervisor: Director, Strategic Research and Campaign Development
The Solidarity Center is an equal employment opportunity employer that does not discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status or any other status protected under applicable law. Women and minority candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Your application was submitted successfully.