Solidarity Center seeks a Consultant to help with program and office start-up activities in Sudan. This will include assistance conducting a labor assessment and establishing connections with unions and civil society organizations (CSOs), as well as supporting Solidarity Center with the registration process in Sudan. This individual should be based in Sudan and will work with Solidarity Center's Washington-based staff and consultants until a full-time Field Program Specialist is hired for Sudan.
Scope of Work:
- Identify unions, CSOs, and worker associations representing women, youth, and other marginalized populations, including workers in the informal economy and those in rural areas outside of Khartoum. This will also include CSOs that focus on legislative reform and maintaining civic space and CSOs which may have input in the transition.
- Establish connections between Solidarity Center and unions and CSOs representing workers throughout Sudan. This will include working in cooperation with Solidarity Center program staff to conduct a detailed mapping of all organizations working with workers – unions, workers organizations and CSOs. The mapping will include information such as the organization’s leadership, workers represented, the work of the organizations, their structures and policies, their goals and impact.
- Meet with union representatives to ask them a standard set of questions regarding their geographic and sectoral reach, membership or support base, current priorities and activities, willingness to work with Solidarity Center as well as other local unions and CSOs, existing partnerships with other international and local organizations, and possible political affiliations.
- Arrange virtual meetings between Solidarity Center staff and union/CSO representatives in Sudan to explore partnerships.
- Provide Solidarity Center program staff with regular updates on the political transition and relevant current events.
- Assist Solidarity Center in completing the office registration process in Sudan as needed.
- Provide additional administrative assistance as needed.
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Arabic
- Strong knowledge of civil society, the labor movement, and the ongoing political transition in Sudan
- Experience working in Sudan's civil society and/or labor movement
- Extensive contacts and connections in the labor movement and broader civil society in Sudan, including outside of Khartoum
This consultancy is intended for Sudanese nationals and as such will not cover the costs of travel to/from Sudan or accommodations in country. Local travel costs associated with the consultancy are reimbursable in addition to the agreed-upon consulting fee.