Please Note: All work will be done remotely for the duration of the global health crisis. Once government restrictions are lifted and office conditions are confirmed safe, the Human Resources (HR) Associate-Payroll will work in our Washington, DC headquarters.
Solidarity Center is seeking a Human Resources (HR) Associate-Payroll, who will be responsible for all aspects of human resources relating to payroll and labor distribution. This individual is processes all employee payrolls, timesheets, and related new employee onboarding functions or transactions for the Solidarity Center. The ability to navigate Costpoint and assist others in using the system is an important part of this role.
- Basic understanding of accounting theory
- Good understanding of payroll taxes and related issues
- Ability to work independently and complete assigned analysis with limited supervision
- Familarity with basic accounting techniques and tasks, such as account analysis, preparation of journal vouchers etc.
- Strong eye for detail and ability to produce accurate work.
- Bachelor's degree in business administration and/or clearly demonstrated equivalent understanding of accounting theory and practice
- Experience with software used for payroll, timesheets, labor distributions, personnel databases, and spreadsheets; proficiency in Costpoint highly desirable
- Minimum of three years of experience in payroll accounting
In addition, as part of the Human Resources department and having access to personnel data, must be able to perform key human resources functions as they relate to personnel benefits and onboarding.
Supervisor: Director of Operations
- Establish new employees on the payroll system and process all changes in current employees’ salary and deductions per instructions;
- Prepare and submit payroll input to the payroll service on a bi-weekly basis. Review payroll prepared by the payroll service for accuracy; serve as primary interface with payroll service to assure all payroll files are accurate;
- Update and maintain timesheet charge codes provided by Finance on timekeeping software. In order to perform this task, a good understanding of timesheet software will be necessary. This individual maintains contact with the time keeping software vendor to solve any problems that may arise;
- Be responsible for overall function of collecting employees’ timesheets, including preparing bi-weekly timesheet status reports, sending reminders to staff for missing timesheets and other necessary correspondence to staff to ensure timely submission of biweekly timesheets;
- Review timesheets to ensure that they have been filled out in compliance with Solidarity Center policies, advise and whenever possible assist staff with any necessary changes on their timesheets, input the corrections into the general ledger if needed;
- Prepare labor distribution, fringe benefits and accrued leave allocation on a biweekly basis and input the journal entries of allocation to the general ledger system;
- Analyze variances between hours charged and recorded in payroll; assist management in generating grant reports relating to the payroll and fringe benefit costs for various grants;
- Review tax returns (quarterly tax return) prepared by payroll service, including year-end forms; conduct research in response to correspondence from federal and local tax authorities regarding payroll related tax matters;
- Calculate overseas staff’s taxable housing and education benefits, maintain the worksheet on the benefits, review and analyze the benefits on a quarterly basis; and reconcile the actual taxable benefits to the general ledger on an annual basis for the W-2;
- Reconcile all general ledger payroll related accounts including salary, payroll deductions, and employee pension plan contribution invoices; reconcile W-2 to the general ledger payroll account and accrued leave balance accounts on an annual basis; and
- Maintain employees’ leave record and payroll system.
This is a collective bargaining unit position, generously compensated with a gross annual salary starting at approximately $57,400 - $71,000 USD. A robust benefits package includes excellent health care coverage with no premium, life insurance, a retirement plan and pension, plus ample paid time off for holidays, vacation, and medical leave.
For Candidates Applying from the AFL-CIO: Please be advised that we will inform the AFL-CIO when any of its current employees apply for positions with Solidarity Center. This notification is a matter of policy for all candidates, regardless of each individual’s qualifications and competitiveness for a specific opportunity.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
The Solidarity Center is an equal employment opportunity employer that does not discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status or any other status protected under applicable law. Candidates from traditionally underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.